After tonight’s rehearsal for my piece for Cultivate (only our third), I am very pleased with my dancers. My three dancers come from very different backgrounds–parkour, hip hop, modern, pole dancing, etc.–and I was not sure at first how I was to highlight their talents best while still carrying out my vision for the piece. As I’m sure many other choreographers can relate, it is tricky to stay aware of what material you are creating is truly workable and what is really only working on you. So I try to stay open to dancer suggestions and the direction the choreography is naturally wanting to go on them. It’s exciting when the dancers try new things or unknowingly alter what’s been given and “happy accidents” result. That said, I am realizing that I need to keep returning to the conclusion I made in my previous blog: over planning equals bad. Especially with the silks, I have found that I must stay adaptable (particularly in musical timing).
I still have movement ideas in mind and images I want to try, but overall the piece is leading itself somewhat. That sounds scary to me on paper, but it’s turning out to make for more “honest” choreography if you will.